So its finally summer and I finally get to wear my favourite footwear. They're really not all that fancy and they're certainly not anywhere even close to being glam. They are, however, the most comfortable things my feet can find themselves in (after a bed, of course!). And they are... my flip-flops.
Needless to say, I probably own way too many pairs of my favorite kind of chappals than I will ever need. But somehow, there is really no such thing as having too many chappals! I am not really a shoe person. The highest pair of heels I own may be a whole inch tall (And I only wear those to look "professional" in clinic) . Anything higher makes me skeptical about its comfort, and even the mere thought of those (in my mind) over-rated stilettos actually hurts my back. So for me, my flip-flops symbolize freedom. Freedom for my toes, freedom from ridiculously-high-heeled-induced backaches (what? for some of us 1 inch is HIGH!) and freedom from needing to wash my socks!
I am a sunshine-girl- I need the sun. I LOVE the sun. My feet are sunshine-feet too. The sun keeps us (me and my feet) happy. And what better way to celebrate the summer happiness than stepping into the sun with a liberating pair of flip-flops- no longer covered under big snow-boots or dark "professional" shoes. My feet are free to enjoy the sun and be themselves, non-conforming to the shape that a shoe expects your foot to be. Its liberating, I have a spring (and a summer) in my step, and I can stroll around for hours... floating in my freedom.
Now, if only I had my walking-buddy here...
2 comments:
this makes for a nice imagery :)
it's raining here in my part of the world and i'd love to don flip-flops (or hawaii chappals as we'd call the cruder versions) and head out for a brisk one (let's not get into the deadly combo that is hawaiii chappals and road muck).
needless to say, i miss my walking buddy too :)
i'm going to follow that progression and agree with you that hawaiiii(!) chappals and the monsoon certainly have a way of leaving quite a lasting impression!
went for a nice, long walk this afternoon on a winding, sunny road and thought of you. you, for your part, can listen to "sunny road" and think of me! :)
Post a Comment